Skip to main content

Featured Post

Infinite Country by Patricia Engel | Thoughts

   Published : 2021   ||    Format : print   ||    Location : Colombia ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆   What was it about the country that kept everyone hostage to its fantasy? The previous month, on its own soil, an American man went to his job at a plant and gunned down fourteen coworkers, and last spring alone there were four different school shootings. A nation at war with itself, yet people still spoke of it as some kind of paradise.. Thoughts : Infinite Country follows two characters - young Talia, who at the beginning of this book, escapes a girl’s reform school in North Colombia so that she can make her previously booked flight to the US. Before she can do that, she needs to travel many miles to reach her father and get her ticket to the rest of her family. As we follow Talia’s treacherous journey south, we learn about how she ended up in the reform school in the first place and why half her family resides in the US. Infinite Country tells the story of her family through the other protagonist, El

Look at what just arrived! - September 13, 2010

mailboxmonday This meme was originally hosted by Marcia @ The Printed Page. It went on tour beginning August '10 and is hosted this month by Bermudaonion's Weblog. It is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week (checked out library books don’t count, eBooks & audio books do).

Being the die-hard fan of the Sophie Kinsella's books that I am (probably the only chick-lit I read), I had to buy this book when I walked into a bookstore last week. I had already read the first book, and although I have read better books by her, I wouldn't dream of passing up on any of her books. So the second book of the Shopaholic series - Shopaholic Takes Manhattan, found its way into my cart. Any Sophie Kinsella fans out there?

Kings of the Earth by Jon Clinch came to me from BookTrib. I entered a giveaway of this book, because the description sounded very interesting. Kings of the Earth has an interesting set of characters, and this one looks to be worth checking out. Anyone read this one or Jon Clinch's other book - Finn?

A Scattered Life by Karen McQuestion came to me unsolicited from Goldberg McDuffie Communications. I have not much idea about this one, nor have I seen it yet on other blogs. So it could be a while before I pick this one up to read. It does have an interesting surmise though, but I'm not sure if the book is for me yet.

Since I've spoken about this book all week, I'm going to keep this short. I bought The Game On! Diet by Krista Vernoff and Az Ferguson on my nook soon after starting this game. Talk about short notice!

Have you read any of these books?




Comments

Dave Cullen said…
Thanks for putting my book on your wow list. That makes me smile.
Cat said…
I love the sound of Kings of the Earth - off to check my library catalogue.
Kings of the Earth is one I am anxious to read. Enjoy them all Aths.
Tales of Whimsy said…
I liked the movie :) this sounds cute :)
DCMetroreader said…
I am interested in the Game on Diet. Please post on how it works for you.
bermudaonion said…
I love Sophie Kinsella's books and plan to buy the new one when it comes out!
Kate Scott said…
I'll be interested to read your review of Kings of the Earth!
Interesting varied books!

Have a great reading week ahead! Here is my Mondays: Mailbox/Where Am I/Musings post.
Mary (Bookfan) said…
I've seen some good buzz about A Scattered Life. I hope you'll let us know what you think of it!
Julie said…
Kings of the Earth also caught my eye, but I have to NOT NOT get any more books until I catch up! A Scattered Life also sounds great!

Julie @ Knitting and Sundries
Great mailbox. All of those are new to me authors. I love discovering new ones! Enjoy!!
Anonymous said…
I really liked Kings of the Earth. It was narrow in scope but instead of feeling claustrophobic, that just increased the depth of the novel.

Another blogger told me that Finn is good but very dark.

I look forward to your review.

PB
Athira said…
pburt, thanks for letting me know! I'm eager to read it!