Skip to main content

Featured Post

Infinite Country by Patricia Engel | Thoughts

   Published : 2021   ||    Format : print   ||    Location : Colombia ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆   What was it about the country that kept everyone hostage to its fantasy? The previous month, on its own soil, an American man went to his job at a plant and gunned down fourteen coworkers, and last spring alone there were four different school shootings. A nation at war with itself, yet people still spoke of it as some kind of paradise.. Thoughts : Infinite Country follows two characters - young Talia, who at the beginning of this book, escapes a girl’s reform school in North Colombia so that she can make her previously booked flight to the US. Before she can do that, she needs to travel many miles to reach her father and get her ticket to the rest of her family. As we follow Talia’s treacherous journey south, we learn about how she ended up in the reform school in the first place and why half her family resides in the US. Infinite Country tells the story of her family through the other protagonist, El

Game-on Diet - Bring it On!

I have always been into diets - not the starve-yourself-and-keep-away-from-temptations kind, but the enjoy-the-treats-and-live-balanced kinds. I guess it's because I love healthy eating, just as much as I find it hard to resist that delicious lasagna or yummy cheese-laden panini. So, when I finished my first semester at grad school, I had morphed to twice my size that I was aghast! Know what? There was only one food joint really close to the building where I had my classes, and on Tues/Thurs, I had 3 classes at a stretch without a decent break in between. So my friends and I did the most obvious thing - walked into Burger King almost every day and bought their really unhealthy burgers, onion rings and chicken nuggets. After all, we were grad students - what were we to do?

And then, I turned things around in the Spring semester. No more grease, no eating out, in fact, worked out religiously - so regularly that my courses came only second in priority. I lost about 15 pounds in that one semester. And maintained that over the next one year.

Then I got complacent.

Yeah, so now it's been two months since I dragged myself to a gym. Every day seems busier than the previous day, and now I'm trying to figure out where exactly to squeeze a gym into. And that's when I overheard all the buzz around this book on twitter and blogs, last month. So when Sheila asked me if I wished to play the game this month, I jumped right into it. Things are way hectic right now, I'm waiting for my new car, I hardly have time to blog or read once I'm home, and now I'm on this game that I joined to clean up my bad habits and live a more ascetic life (well, close). The bad news? No more coffee. I survived two days without it and realized that I've been having it out of habit, but on weekends, I really love to have coffee as I sit on my PC. I mean, isn't that, like, the way to something like blogging and reading news in the morning? Who catches up on morning stuff without coffee, anyway? So I'm arguing that at least I discovered I'm not addicted to the stuff, so that I can go back to having it. I'm allowed one indulgence.

I bought the copy last night, and while I'm still not sure how much of the advice I will buy and not, what I do know is that doing a game such as this can only be good for me. I desperately want to get back to my old fitness mode, and not sit around feeling confident that I can do this whenever I want. So, although I officially started this yesterday, yours truly is still sleeping only 4 hours a night and sluggishly wading through her day. Before I say Bring it On! I need to say Wish me luck!

Comments

sounds interesting good luck :)
bermudaonion said…
When I saw the title of your post, all I could think was that you don't need to lose weight, but I guess we can all adapt healthier lifestyle habits. I don't know how you continually survive on four hours of sleep a night. Good luck with the diet!
Good luck! Sheila asked me to join as well, but I am already on a "do better" regime (it's been just under a month) of cutting out the junk and it seems to be working. Down 6 pounds. I am not really basing it on the weight, but how my clothes feel.

I look forward to cheering you on!
Athira said…
Thanks everyone!

Kathy, I really don't know how I wake up after just four hours of sleep, but luckily the three days before that, I slept like a baby! But for 2 days now, I've been sleeping well, and I hope that sticks!
Athira said…
Helen, it's good you are having things under control - that's all I'm aiming for too. I don't think I'll lose much weight, so my focus isn't on that at all.
DCMetroreader said…
Oh I don't think I could give up coffee.

Good luck!