Skip to main content

Featured Post

Infinite Country by Patricia Engel | Thoughts

   Published : 2021   ||    Format : print   ||    Location : Colombia ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆   What was it about the country that kept everyone hostage to its fantasy? The previous month, on its own soil, an American man went to his job at a plant and gunned down fourteen coworkers, and last spring alone there were four different school shootings. A nation at war with itself, yet people still spoke of it as some kind of paradise.. Thoughts : Infinite Country follows two characters - young Talia, who at the beginning of this book, escapes a girl’s reform school in North Colombia so that she can make her previously booked flight to the US. Before she can do that, she needs to travel many miles to reach her father and get her ticket to the rest of her family. As we follow Talia’s treacherous journey south, we learn about how she ended up in the reform school in the first place and why half her family resides in the US. Infinite Country tells the story of her family through the other protagonist, El

The Sunday Salon -- July 18, 2010

The Sunday 
Salon.com

It's been a week since I did any reading or blogging, and that sure makes me one grumpy ole lady right now. I didn't log on to twitter or even glance at my two-weeks untouched Google Reader. shudder .. the numbers..

The good news is that the one week hiatus was worth it. I finally finished my thesis and can now get back to books, since my defense and hence graduation is still a good 3 weeks away! My two-week race to finish this mammoth report on my two-year discoveries in my lab was beginning to nauseate me thanks to my minimal sleep, but luckily I was finally able to sleep well last night, didn't bother with alarms, and just woke up as I pleased.

Yesterday, I met Kathy of Bermudaonion's Weblog, Jennifer of The Literate Housewife, and Jaime of Confessions of a Bibliophile at El Rodeo in Blacksburg! It was an amazing lunch get-together, and we had much fun joking, sharing juicy tidbits and talking about books! They were such wonderful ladies and I'm so glad I got to meet them! This was also my first meeting with any book blogger and it was the first time I was in the physical company of more than one person who loved, ate and breathed books! I sure can't wait to meet them again. Kathy was also generous enough to give each one of us a book, of which she had an extra copy, (I chose A Fierce Radiance) and you know how any of us feel of surprise books. I don't have any pictures yet of our meeting, but Kathy had taken some, so I will post them soon as possible.

Comments

Doesn't matter if you have not read much. You are doing other productive work!

Here is my Sunday Salon post!
Tales of Whimsy said…
FUN! I want to meet bloggers :)
Nothing as fun as meeting up with book bloggers!
3 more weeks?! That is SO close! Good luck with it all
bermudaonion said…
I had a great time at lunch yesterday too - only book bloggers can lunch for 3 hours! I'll get the pictures to you in the next few days.
Molly said…
Congratulations on accomplishing so much this past week! There is truly a light at the end of this tunnel :)

I am somewhat jealous of the day you got to spend with blogging friends. I do not think there is anyone who lives close enough to me, which is why I hope I can attend BEA next year.
Marce said…
You finished your thesis and met bloggers, now that is just super.
Lisa said…
What a great reward for your hard work! Congrats on getting the thesis finished up. What a massive chore to have behind you.
Amused said…
Sounds like it was a needed break and it always makes you that much more invigorated to come back! How fun to get to meet other bloggers too!
Wow, congrats on finishing your thesis!!! Woohoo! I am so happy for you!

Also, that is so awesome that you got to meet some bloggers. Wish I could meet you and some others someday too!
Ash said…
I had my first in-person blogger meeting this weekend as well! I have a few friends at school who blog along with me but I hadn't met one I "met" after blogging yet. Hopefully I can meet more in the future!